D is for Demon



Thank you for all the comments on yesterday’s entry, C is for Chimera. I continue the A-Z today with;

D is for Demons


Image from Slumpy's
The most powerful entities the Ancile face, demons primarily exist in spirit form in the astral plane. However, they can cross over and imbue humans – who then do their bidding – with prenatural powers. 

This is where a great many prenatural entities – such as vampires, werewolves and necromancers – get their supernatural abilities from.

As of yet, The Ancile are unable to calculate the exact number or nature of demons, only that they’ve been increasing in strength and amount over the last 100 years.

Research continues to define exactly what these entities are. 


The following is from the record book of Ancile Scientist Bethany Mayweather, detailing her analyzation of one of few demon samples the Ancile possess.

Narrated and transcribed by: Bethany Mayweather, West Midlands Unit Scientist, November 13th, 2o12.

The sample is like nothing I’ve seen before. It is neither viscous and black like werewolf blood, nor diluted like vampire blood. It is almost intangible, as it rapidly goes through the different levels of phase transition; transforming from solid, to liquid, to gas almost seamlessly on an endless sequence.
In its solid and liquid form the matter is iridescence, and can expand or reduce its mass at will. It is extremely hard to contain, and likewise to study. 

It is a pure scientific anomaly. 

And yet, it is also decidedly sentient. I can almost feel its consciousness calling out to me; drawing me to it. It offers everything I could want, most of all answers. Answers about itself, answers about the prenatural world we live in. Answers about my father.

Late at night, when the sample speaks to me in the darkness, it is talk of my father than I have to resist most strongly.
I’ve locked the sample in our most remote freezer now, behind the matter we no longer need but have to keep just in case, for research purposes. I hardly hear the voice any more, but sometimes, in the bleakest recess of my mind, it calls out to me: “Bethany … Bethany …”

I dare not tell mum, or my boss Graham. Neither of them would understand. Sometimes I wish Alexander was still around, he would have understood.
------
Check back tomorrow for E is for Elizabeth Bathory, and if you're interested please check out my personal blog's third entry D isfor Dexter.



27 comments:

  1. Sample speaking to her? That's creepy. Great post and analysis Clare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheena-kay! Creepy sure is the right word!!

      Delete
  2. creepy. I shouldn't have read this all by myself in the dark! yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :S Yeah, I can see how that'd be problematic! :D

      Delete
  3. Excellent post! Oh the trouble that sample wants to cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! I have big plans for that sample! ;)

      Delete
  4. Ohhh no way! That just freaked me out so bad. Great job. I think this was the best one yet- demons- ick. *Shudders*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen! Demons scare the hell out of me, so goodness only knows how I wrote this!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like the start of big trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in Susan. It could very well be ... ;)

      Delete
  6. oooo this is good. It would totally freak me out to have something talking to me in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you liked it. I think I'd very much freak out, having something like that talk to me in the dark!

      Delete
  7. The snippets are such a teaser. I want to know more about the "sample" and Bethany now. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al, glad you're enjoying the snippets. Hopefully Bethany and the sample will make a reappearance soon.

      Delete
  8. I love the physical change aspect. Liquid form...that's SO Terminator 2. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in Crystal! Yeah, I hadn't thought about that. I love the way the Terminators can chance state.

      Delete
  9. What a genius idea that even the blood would be cunning and scheming. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent! I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhhhhh great post!! I'll be back for more.
    Connie
    Checkin' in from the A to Z Challenge.
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie, glad you're enjoying my posts! :D

      Delete
  12. Dude. I stared at that image for like two minutes before I read today's entry. It's so fluid and pretty!

    (This is why I shouldn't catch up at two in the morning...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! They're awesome! you know they're sheets of glass you can buy for like $115.84!

      Delete
  13. Very, very cool.

    My whole A to Z is about demons this year. Come by and take a look.


    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side and The Witch
    Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword
    The Freedom of Nonbelief

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very creepy. I got chills when I read about the sample speaking. Doesn't sound too good for your character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin! No, it doesn't bode well at all ...

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this entry, and comment. I really appreciate it.