A is for (The Order of The) Ancile




As I previously mentioned, this year I'm taking part in the A-Z Blogging Challenge on BOTH of my blogs. 

Here, I'll be giving my own spin on the A-Z of Prenatural Entites. The posts make up the mythology for my current WiP, and as such, are set in that world and feature a Wikipedia style entry for each entity, as well as a personal account from an Ancile member facing that entity.

Over on my Personal blog, I'll be discussing the A-Z of The life and loves of Clare Dugmore. Please feel free to check it out. 

Today kicks off week one of the challenge, so it’s time to begin discussing the A-Z of Prenatural Entities with;



A is for (The Order of The) Ancile


The Order of the Ancile was formed in the last year of the first millennium (1013; 10th Century) – around one thousand years ago. 

It started off as a group of scholars and scientists joining together to share notes on prenatural (paranormal) phenomena. 

Eventually this lead to the discovery of mortals with prenatural abilities – strength, stamina, agility etc. that allowed them to “bind” the malevolent prenatural entities. 

These prenatural mortals joined with the scholars to help catch and control prenatural entities, they became known as Suppressors. 

Throughout history, the scholars, scientists and suppressors have continued working together to study, document and confine prenatural entities. 

Each country has a number of Ancile base facilities broken down into regions. In England, these consist of: 
• Eastern 
• East Midlands 
• London 
• North East 
• North West 
• South East 
• South West 
• Wales 
• West Midlands 
• Yorkshire and Humber 

Sometimes staff are transferred inter-region depending on which areas are quiet, and which areas have had an influx of prenatural activity. 

Each region unit consists of following staff members: 
• One Scholar to document the records 
• Two Scientists – usually a senior and their lab assistant, to carry out testing 
• A Senior Captain of the Suppressors, who leads the physical capture of malevolent entities, and oversees the combat training of the Soldiers 
• Three Suppressor Soldiers, specially trained in combat tactics used for fighting prenatural entities 

Often, when an area of prenatural entities are bought under control, the benevolent beings work in co-operation with the Ancile to assist them in bringing other entities into line – therefore it is not unlikely for the Suppressors to be partnered with “tame” werewolves, vampires or other beings. 

The following records are an A-Z documentation of some of the most dangerous prenatural entities and beings the Ancile have encountered in their thousand year history. 

The following is from the record book of Ancile Suppressor Sol Purcell, detailing his induction into the Order and subsequent training. 

Narrated by: Sol Purcell, West Midlands Unit Suppressor, September 24th, 2006
Transcribed by: Wynnifred Mayweather, West Midlands Unit Scholar, September 24th, 2006

Bernard said the choice of if I wanted to join the Order was mine. So I’ve chosen. What else would I decide to devote my life to? Even the excitement of being offered a scholarship with the BAFA National Leagues can’t compare to joining the group of men and women who saved and gave me life. 

Sons often follow in their father’s footsteps. My dad was a good man, sticking to traditional values, and building up a secure life for his family as a realtor. What happened to him and mum, he didn’t deserve. No one deserved that fate. Now Bernard is the closest thing I have to a father, so it’s only natural that I want to continue his legacy. I want to fight beside him, ridding our country of the evil that stalks it. 

He said it isn’t going to be easy, that I’ll have to make sacrifices. I’m prepared for that. Hopefully one day I can achieve something that would make both my father and Bernard proud. Hopefully one day I can have justice for what was done to my family. 

Training has started, and despite years playing as a quarterback in boarding school, holding a Claymore is tougher than I ever imagined it would be. Those things are damn heavy. My muscles are aching at the end of every evening. But the thrill I get when I swing that sword, when I hit the target, is like nothing I’ve experienced before. It sure as hell beats the thrill of scoring a touchdown. Sometimes I lay awake at night wondering what it will be like to slice through the flesh of a vampire; to spill the blood of evil with my righteous sword of justice.


------

Check back tomorrow for B is for Banshees, and if you're interested please check out my personal blog's first entry A is for Anne Rice.

The full A-Z of Prenatural Entities can be found here

28 comments:

  1. Very cool! It certainly sounds like your WIP is meticulously planned. I'm intrigued by the Ancile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick! Yeah, in terms of planning, this is perhaps the first story I've pre-planned this level of detail. It's helping a lot. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow this was detailed. Excellent start Clare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheena-kay, glad you enjoyed it. :D

      Delete
  3. Certainly sounds like an interesting WIP! I'm looking forward to banshees :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura, glad you enjoyed today's post. :)

      Delete
  4. Hey Clare! As always, I'm so very impressed with your organizational skills. You are so detailed and I love how you translate that from your personal life into your writing. Fabulous job. Can't wait to read more from you this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jen! If only my home were this organised! LOL I'm glad you liked today's post though. :D

      Delete
  5. Hi,this is a fantastic start on our challenge ... great job.
    Wish you good luck with the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I have tried to enter my replay 4 times ...
    Congratulation to your brilliant start and good luck with the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I had comment moderation turned on, meaning your comment wouldn't appear until I approved it. I've turned that off now though.

      Thanks for dropping by, glad you liked the first post. :D

      Delete
  7. Wow, such detail I would have sworn you got it out of an encyclopedia. I will be looking forward to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Al, glad you liked it! :D

      Delete
  8. Fascinating! Agree with Al - you make it sound so real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex! That's such a wonderful compliment.

      Delete
  9. Wowza! I can't write fantasy or paranormal because I'm not creative enough to create completely different worlds. I'm sitting here going, she's gonna be the next JK Rowling ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cassie, that's such a wonderful compliment. And you're plenty creative; writing believable contemporary is, in my opinion, harder than fantasy, as you've got to portray situations/ people/ places etc. people are familiar with.

      Delete
  10. I'm so intrigued! I can't wait to read all your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, glad you liked today's post!

      Delete
  11. I'm hooked. This is wonderfully written and detailed. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is brilliant, Clare! I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like it, very interesting WIP!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice! You've definitely got this planned. This order sounds really interesting and so does your WiP! =D

    ReplyDelete
  15. April is such an exciting time for the bloggers who participate in the A to Z challenge. It's nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this entry, and comment. I really appreciate it.