Writers Block is a Myth

I've been struggling these past few days. And even though I'm still managing to write around a thousand words a day, for the first time since I started NaNo, it feels like a chore. 

 I don't know if its "the curse of the second week" or if I over did it in my first ten days, but whatever is wrong I'm struggling. I'm finding it hard to stay focused, and I'm feeling like what I am writing is utter shit. Its disheartening, and I haven't actually done writing since half-twelve because of it. 

And then just when I think I'm going to jack it in for the day and play the Dragon Age II DLC, I remember this quote from Patrick Rothfuss. 

"Writers block is a myth. The myth stems from the belief that writing is some mystical process. That it’s magical. That it abides by its own set of rules different from all other forms of work, art, or play. But that’s bullshit. Plumbers don’t get plumber’s block. Teachers don’t get teacher’s block. Soccer players don’t get soccer block. What makes writing different? Nothing. The only difference is that writers feel they have a free pass to give up when writing is hard. When writing is hard, I grit my teeth and I do it anyway. Because it’s my job. Or sometimes I don’t. Sometimes its hard and I quit and go home and play video games. But let’s be clear. When that happens, it’s not because I’ve lost some mystical connection with my muse. It’s because I’m being a slacker. There’s nothing magical about that."
 - Patrick Rothfuss, Feb 23rd, 2011. 

Can't really argue with the man who wrote fantastic books like "The Name of the Wind" and "The Wise Man's Fear" now can I? 

I look up to Rothfuss immensely. His books are amazing, and there's lots of themes and ideas in them that inspire my own work, and he seems like an all-round nice guy. Its hard when one of your favourite authors says something like this not to feel inspired, and while I'm not suddenly flooded with ideas, or witty dialogue, it makes me want to try. Even if what I write turns out to be utter shit there might be one sentence in there, one word, that I can use and sparks something wonderful. So, I'm "Patrick Rothfuss-ing it". I'm pulling my finger out my arse and seeing if I can get some more words down on paper/ screen before dinner time. 

Wish me luck!!

4 comments:

  1. I don't think losing your momentum is slacking. Sometimes it's hard to force yourself to do something, even when it's something we really love to do! I always find rather than pushing through, sometimes it's better to take a step back, do something else for a couple of days, then when you come back to it, it's fresh and there's a renewed motivation to carry on. That's just my way though, I do like the above quote! Good luck, and hope your mojo returns soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Emma. :D

    I'll bear with it for this week and hope I can at least knock a couple of thousand words out a day. Next week I'm away for three days for Dad's wedding, so hopefully the break will renew my passion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I find I just need a break. Good luck to you and thanks for that quote. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes a break helps, sometimes soldiering through helps me.

    I did a bit of both today and it seems to have worked. I feel back on track.

    Thanks for the good luck wishes, and you're welcome for the quote. Its one on the most inspirational things I've heard a publish author say, so I had to share.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this entry, and comment. I really appreciate it.